The Southwest Airlines Companion Pass status is an incredible feature of the Rapid Rewards program. The unlimited companion ticket can be earned by flying 100 one way flights on Southwest in a calendar year (very hard unless you travel a lot for business) or by earning 110,000 Qualifying Points in the Southwest Rapids Rewards program in a calendar year (not as hard as it may seem).
Normally, 105,000 of the 110,000 Qualifying Points can be earned by getting the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card and the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Business Card. Most of the time, the Rapid Rewards Premier Card has a 50,000 point bonus and the Premier Business Card has a 55,000 point bonus (currently only 50,000 points). If you like Traveldealalert.com on Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@travldealalert) or Instagram (traveldealalert), I will send out an alert as soon as the 55,000 point bonus is back. However, if you are traveling anytime soon the ubiquitous Southwest Airlines airport kiosks almost always have the 50,000 mile (and the 55,000 mile) credit card offers.
Both cards earn you the following benefits:
- 2 points for every dollar spent directly with Southwest Airlines
- 2 points for every dollar spent with Rapid Rewards hotel and car rental partners
- No foreign transaction fees
- 6,000 point anniversary bonus
- Get to A- List faster (1,500 tier qualifying point for every $10,000 spent)
- Additional card member benefits— for $ spent on gift cards, hotels, cruises, etc.
- The business card adds employee cards and the ability to earn points on employee spending
Keep in mind that even if you nab both cards (at the right time) and earn the 105,000 combined Rapid Rewards points, you will NOT earn Southwest Airlines A List or A List Preferred privileges. Generally, you have to do some extensive traveling for those benefits. However, you can earn Companion Pass status (or at least 105,000 of the 110,000 points required) exclusively through the Rapid Rewards Premier credit cards.
Just FYI A List members receive the following privileges:
- Priority Check In
- Fly by Priority Lanes (where available)
- Reserved Check-in
- Standby Priority
- A List dedicated phone line
- A 25% Rapid Rewards points bonus on all eligible revenues on Southwest Airlines flight
- Free in-flight Wi-Fi on equipped planes
- A List Preferred dedicated phone line
- A 100% points bonus on all eligible revenues on Southwest Airlines flights
Companion Pass status is good for the remainder of the calendar year in which you reach Companion Pass status and the entire following calendar year. One more amazing Companion Pass benefit: You also get a free companion ticket when you purchase travel on Southwest using your Rapid Rewards points. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That means each reward ticket earned with the original 110,000 miles is effectively two tickets. To make the deal even sweeter, you can change your designated companion up to three times in any calendar year in which you maintain Companion Pass status. The only catch is you have to call Southwest at 800-435-9792 to change your companion designation and allow 21 business day for the change to kick in.
THIS IS AN OUTSTANDING OFFER AND SHOULD NOT BE MISSED!!!
A special thanks goes out to Darius of Million Mile Secrets who clued me in to this outstanding offer at a recent conference in Dallas.